Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hats off to Philip Treacy, Tonia Todman and Granma

I’ve just found Mother’s old cookbooks, including her 1959 first edition of Aunt Daisy’s Ultimate Cookbook (the Betty Crocker of NZ).  Inside the front cover, there’s an inscription from my Great Aunt saying, “To Leonie and ???, Sorry don’t remember his name. The best way to a man’s heart before and after marriage is through his food. I’ve proved it. Love Aunty Hilda.”  Not too dissimilar to what Mother says every time she sees me, “You’re pretty enough Carolyn, but looks fade. Get baking!”  

The Plan: I’m going to become the Phillip Tracey of Baking. (Well if you’re going to do something, do it with style). Mystery Man will fall in love at first sight tonight at Horvats Wine Bar; seeing me in candle light surrounded by Wedgwood cake stands, laden with Couture Hat Biscuits.

A Hat version of Prêt-à-Portea, world-famous High Tea at The Berkeley Hotel, Knightsbridge, London, where Petit Fours and Biscuits are miniature replicas of the latest catwalk creations at Milan Fashion Week.  How hard could that be?..Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment