Monday, March 19, 2012

Tooth Fairy, the untold story

Received an email from Mother last night saying, “Hello Dear. I’m getting a sore back praying so much for your books to sell… so they better!!!!” Knocked over my espresso from laughing so much (while simultaneously being concerned). Once I regained composure, it occurred to me that many of my peculiarities and mannerisms come from Mother. Given Mother is frequently mentioned in my stories, its high time Leonie Catherine Managh (nee McNeil) was properly introduced.

Mother grew up on a 1200 acre dairy farm at Waikawau Bay, the remotest tip of the Coromandel Peninsula in New Zealand. Her childhood seem to mainly involve a horse, some snow and long journeys to Primary School. There’s more chance of snowfalls in Hawaii than Coromandel, which possibly explains the origins of my storytelling gene. However, there is no doubt that the beaches here are some of the best in the world.  Close to the family farmhouse was a tidal inlet. When the tide was out, you could walk across to the other side of the inlet, onto a private two mile sandy white ocean beach, sheltered by sand hills stretching the length of the beach...Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment