Monday, April 23, 2012

Self Portraits, the Must Have Accessory of 2012

Self Portraits are the Must Have accessory of 2012. The Prada “Pyramide” handbag of the art world, if you will.  I predicted this trend long before Instagram turned Facebook into The Great Wall of “Look at me!” Even before the King of Fashion, Karl Lagerfeld, declared his love for self portraiture. You think I’m making this up? Take a peek at the cover shot on I-D Magazine "Royalty" Issue (Spring 2012).  How did I know before everyone else? HRH Queen Elizabeth II told me. Not face to face. But close.

I’m a huge Queen fan. Frequently relying on Her Fabulousness for guidance on essential matters such as social protocol, wellies etiquette, the best tweed mills, and commemorating significant events in one’s life. Before my debut book, “to Daylesford, with Love” hit blockbuster status, it seemed entirely befitting to follow the Royal trendsetter Herself, and get painted into Daylesford history.  Only problem. With so many talented artists adding local colour, who would be bequeathed the honour? This must be what Queen Elizabeth feels like every time she has to choose a Daughter-in Law. The only fair solution was to have a FACE OFF. Let the best painter win.

Eight weeks later, the portraits are back and I’m in a dither of indecision. Which Self Portrait will take pride of place in the lounge? This is the E! True Hollywood story of what actually happened behind the scenes of Face Off 2012.


Janis & Carolyn
Madeleine McCristal.
Madeleine’s studio in the bush is extraordinary. The room built from shipping containers is filled with old school Rock Star vibe, blaring Janis Joplin and stacks of ceiling high paintings. The art so spectacular, it’s appreciated by discerning collectors around the world. And she agreed to paint me! Feeling somewhat humbled, I went along to our Portrait Sitting half expecting to run into Charles Saatchi. Within minutes of arriving, I was told in no uncertain terms that Laura Ashley ‘has a lot to answer for,” and swiftly given a wardrobe change of black t-shirt, worn black leather jacket, red velvet scarf and Madeleine’s precious original 1970’s John Lennon glasses....Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment